Thursday, September 29, 2011

Then I Met My Sister



Title: Then I Met My Sister 
Author: Christine Hurley Deriso
Pages:265
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Genre: Young adult
Release date: Published April 8th 2011

Synopsis: "It's not exactly easy living in a shrine to your dead sister. Since birth, I've known that everyone loved Shannon. She was perfect—beautiful, smart, talented. And me? Not so much. My parents always expected me to live up to her greatness. But I could never measure up to her, so why even try?
This summer, I've started reading the journal Shannon kept just before she died . . . and suddenly nothing is what I thought it was. The more secrets I learn about Shannon and our family, the more everything changes. And as it turns out, facing the truth is no cakewalk, either." 

When I first started this I wasn't to certain rather or not I would like it. My first thoughts to this book when I saw it was-Boring looking. To my utter shock I loved the story and characters. Then I met my sister really got to me. The book wasn't set down until I was finished with it, making me super sleepy at practice the next day. But worth it all the way. My main question when I finished it was did she kill herself or not. They implied that she was to happy to kill herself, but they didn't explain more into that. Maybe if they had said what had killed her.
So the main character of this story would be Summer. A girl who lives in the shadow of her dead sister who died before her senior year, 17 years ago. Her mother keeps adding pressure to her shoulders telling her that she needs to better, by raising her grade even high, having a boyfriend, and awards for sports and academics. Summer lives far behind her sister, so when Summer acquired the journal of her sister and learns secrets about her sister and family she never knew Summer starts to realize many things have been hidden  away from her. So of course Summer has to investigate everything about the thing written by her sister.
The first 60 pages gave me this angry feeling that went away as Shannon and Summer both matured in different ways.  Shannon learned how to deal with tragedy. Summer learned how to deal with the events she learned happened before she was born, about deception. They both learned how to deal with their mother.
If you like a good suspense novel then this would be one to read. I would recommend this book to everyone, or at least to give it a try.



2 comments:

  1. this sounds really good, i hadn't seen this book around yet. Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wooow!! this sounds so good! it came out a while ago and I loved the cover, but I never really read any review about it until now. THanks for sharing and for stopping by ^_^ muah!

    http://dazzlingreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete