Sunday, June 5, 2011

The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF is a very realistic book for situations that teenagers are placed in, more realistic ways in how the characters speak and talk because out of the few books I read in this genre very few talk and act like real teenagers. This book goes around the term DUFF or Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Bianca Piper hears this term from Wesley Rush the, thinking of a nice way to think of it... Player. They end up kissing, in what Bianca says, "I lunged at it Literally. I kissed Wesley Rush." from that point on they start using each other for there own personal reasons.
Finding out the reason for this book was simple because she puts a quote in at the end of it. "I always felt like the 'ugly girl in high school-my best friends are insanely gorgeous-so when I was introduced to the word my senior year, I knew I was the Duff. The idea of writing this book with 'Duff' in the title started as a joke, but when I realized that my friends felt like Duffs, too I knew I had to write this story."
Bianca Piper is a seventeen year old girl who is going through parent issues off maybe they'll get together and maybe there split up, so her dad will stop moping so much. Then going through her dad becoming a drunk again also has it's effects. So when her ex boyfriend and also one of her biggest mistakes, who just happens to be one of her friends brother, comes back. Bianca needs a way to escape away from that, so she goes to Wesley for that. While Bianca has her problems, so does Wesley. He lives in a huge house all by himself most of the time because his parents are never there and on 
'business trips,' he gets the house to himself. Wesley has a sister he can never see without his grandma freaking out about it because she doesn't approve of his ways also adds to his problems.
There are a couple themes in this book, but one I liked was, running away from your problems can make them worst in the end. There are defiantly a lot of those moments in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment